[balloon-makers] cable poll

Donald L Piccard balloon at juno.com
Mon Apr 2 09:08:32 CDT 2001

Definitely use stainless 7x7 aircraft cable.  !/8th inch is plenty heavy
enough.  These are not flexed under load.  Basket cables can be, so I
always used 7x19.  I felt that 1/8 was plenty big enough, but I think
that for marketing schmalz you might want bigger looking.  Stainless is
even more important there because it is not easy to inspect cable that is
buried in the wicker.

Heavy Nylon webbing should be considered for the basket, black nomex
covered kevlar webbing from Bally is my choice for the envelope cables
(Foot Ropes in gas balloon terminology).

On Sun, 1 Apr 2001 23:57:48 -0400 Tom Deering <hot-air at deering.org>
writes:

> Could I take an opinion poll?
>
> If you've built a balloon, what are your cables rated, and what is
> your load tape rated?  Do you use stainless or galvanized?
>
> If the cables are rated much higher than the load tape, does that
> help?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Tom
>
> ---