[balloon-makers] 1/2 inch seams

Keith Sproul ksproul at rci.rutgers.edu
Mon Apr 23 10:07:08 CDT 2001

It is amazing how much difference 1/4" can make..  To make 1/2"
seams, you would need a 3/8" gauge sewing machine.  Jon R. has a 3/8"
machine.  This is the SMALLEST recommended gauge to use for balloons.

I agree, 1/2" seams would be REAL tough to get consistent until you
have had a lot of experience.. (aka Micki)

Keith

At 10:50 -0400 4/23/01, Tom Deering wrote:
>I did a comparison of two envelopes.  One with 1/2 inch seams, and
>one with standard 3/4 inch seams. Given the same limited fabric
>width, the envelope with the 1/2 inch seams can be made 1,149 cu ft
>larger, and will lift 21 lbs more.
>
>Assuming you make the gores the full width of your fabric, it would
>be possible to make the half-gores 1/2 inch wider, and create a
>larger envelope.  That doesn't seem like much, but multiplied by 32
>half gores, it adds up.
>
>These numbers, by the way, are for a vertical gore balloon.  The
>fabric lost within the seams of a horizontal gore balloon is much
>greater, so the difference would be even more pronounced.
>
>Could I make good 1/2 inch seams?  I don't think I could.  But it is
>interesting to see how that little 1/4 inch changes the design.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Tom
>---
>Please do not assume I know what I'm talking about.  Pretend I know
>nothing.  It works for my wife. -------
>This list is archived at http://www.hombc.org/balloon-makers

Keith Sproul	ksproul at rci.rutgers.edu		WU2Z
Student Housing Network Coordinator		732 445-3695 W
Rutgers University Computing Services