[balloon-makers] Temp gauge / Photos

Curtis Pack cpackdo at citynet.net
Thu Jul 12 09:56:57 CDT 2001

Hi Bill,
I am using the 100 Cel rated wire I had. The length is 75 feet in a twisted
pair. I hope to see if it works this weekend if wind and weather cooperate.
I hope to keep the temps low and will run the wire on the outside of the
envelope for the test.  The wireless thermometer Jon suggested may work but
the transmitter would be subjected to alot of heat in the top of the
balloon.
I hope to have answers for you soon. If this works this would be an
extremely cost efficient solution but elements of durability, wear and
accuracy need to be tested. I have yet to check the local appliance
repairman for the high temp wire suggested by Duane but the experiment by
Tim suggest there is some leeway built into the temperature ratings for
wire. My temps concern me because I am flying a 28500 c.ft. balloon at a
pilot weight of 250 lbs on near 90 degree days.  Which side of 200 degrees
did Phil say to stay on ? :)
Fly safe,