[balloon-makers] Temp Gauge is a Success !

Curtis Pack cpackdo at citynet.net
Sun Jul 15 16:34:26 CDT 2001

Phil,
The system weights are as follows :
Envelope = 110 lbs. ( mades from old style Raven fabric at 3.0 oz. per
yard.)  with top rigging, parachute and lines , crown line and handle, two
turning vents and lines, plus four aluminum carabiners, bag.
Tank, harness, dropline, regulator, and burner, burner support ring with
full fuel = 110lbs
Total system weight fueled = 220lbs

I hit 254 F very briefly on the initial blast when recovering from a pulled
top descent . This showed on the gauge for just a few seconds then quickly
lowered so I suspect a "wave" of super hot air from the burner then a quick
reduction in the temperature as the air mixes by convection in the envelope.
On a slower response gauge you would probably not see this surge ( just a
guess).
 Phil this is a test. Show all work and formulas . Do not use additional
paper. Calculators are allowed as long as memory is cleared prior to the
test. ( Actually, is there a straight forward of way looking at volume, air
density, altitude, temperature internal and external, and payload and system
weights to determine anticipated envelope temperatures ?)
Fly safe,