[balloon-makers] velcro specs?

SPCLFXGUY at aol.com SPCLFXGUY at aol.com
Mon Jul 30 10:29:55 CDT 2001

I'm not a balloon-maker, nor a pilot, nor have I had the pleasure of having
ridden in one...  :-(    I have always been a very big fan of them, since I
was a kid, growing up in KY.  (As you all must know, they have the anual
Balloon Race there as a part of the KY Derby celebtation).

I stumbled into the internet's world of "balloondom" while looking for
information on dirigibles, and found myself staying up to nearly dawn,
reading pages of logs of people's experiences building their own balloons!
WOW!

Anyway, I just think you guys have a really cool hobby/obsession/whatever you
want to call it...  It's great to see people realizing their life-long
dreams!  (like yourselves, I am living mine as well, only chose Special
Effects as mine...)

Anyway, well...  As I mentioned, I do Special Visual Effects (costumes,
props, miniatures, etc.) and I read the question about velcro.  Its been my
experience with (and from what I understand of the design properties of)
velcro, that it works or holds  best against shear forces; and it doesn't
work well at all, when vertical force is applied.

And, if not used "correctly'", the amount of velcro - or surface area - you
use may not  make much difference.  You can put a 1' X 1' tile of "hook" on
the floor, and  stick a 1' X 1' tile of "loop" down onto it.  It's pretty
easy to just tear it right off the floor, with a little vertical force. (once
you start to "peel" it up, the velcro just comes right apart without much
effort.)

On the other hand, the same tile of 1' X 1' "hook" can be attached to a wall,
and then the loop side applied to it and, (unless you start to "peel" it) you
could hang a person from it.

I guess what I am getting at is that if you have any downward force (the
weight of the balloon fabric?) pulling on a piece (or pieces) of velcro, it's
very likely it will peel apart.  The trick is to arrange your velcro so that
it will be made to hold more against sheer forces.

I hope that I am not insulting the intelegence of anyone who reads this.  I
appologize if I have.   In fact, I'm not even what it is you are attempting
to do with the velcro...  Obviously you need some kind of lightweight, quick
fastener system to keep something closed..  Can you briefly explain?

Who knows?  We (in FX) incorporate so many different technologies, from a
wide variety of industries (from aerospace to medical), and our job is a
constant stream of troubleshooting, invention and re-invention.  Maybe I
could help you come up with an alternative solution to velcro.

 -michael

In a message dated 7/30/01 7:45:32 AM Pacific Daylight Time, rat6666 at home.com