[balloon-makers] GPS for your laptop

Tim Baggett tim at oasis.com
Tue Jul 31 08:43:18 CDT 2001

>DeLorme is running a blow-out promotion on their GpsTripmate ($50)
>and Earthmate ($90) GPS receivers, which connect directly to your
>laptop (see http://www.delorme.com/user/bargains.htm for additional
>info). For those with USB ports, the $50 USB Power Adapter Cable
>(http://www.delorme.com/earthmate/usb_pac.asp) lets you avoid battery
>hassles by using bus power from the USB port in your laptop.
>
>This sounds like a very inexpensive way to get into computer mapping.
>This may also be a good solution for an APRS tracking system for your
>chase vehicle. On the other hand, the two receivers mentioned above
>do not work as standalone units.

The Earthmate will not work with APRS+. I was recently trying to
accomplish this for a pilot friend, and found an article in the APRS SIG
archives on the TAPR web site that confirmed the incompatibility. The
Earthmate uses a proprietary protocol, not NMEA.

The Tripmate, I think has been used in APRS (all versions), but I
believe only with a small piece of special electronics that can
translate the Tripmate's Rockwell formatted data into the normal NMEA
format.

For full details, go to www.tapr.org and search the APRS SIG archives
(or I bet Keith Sproul can tell us!)

Tim