[balloon-makers] Fw: Burner coil freeze up

Curtis Pack cpackdo at citynet.net
Mon Jun 18 11:18:36 CDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: <A
href="mailto:cpackdo at citynet.net" title=cpackdo at citynet.net>Curtis Pack

To: <A href="mailto:DonPiccard at usfamily.net"
title=DonPiccard at usfamily.net>Don Piccard
Sent: Monday, June 18, 2001 2:03 PM
Subject: Re: Burner coil freeze up

Mr.Piccard,
Re inventing the wheel? Couldn't the same be said
for the development of the modern hot air balloon. I am sure you and others
could have said that hot air balloons had been
tried before and there was no need for a modern version. Actually, in order to
know the basics,short of quiting the day job and
going back to school, the experimental process is stimulating requiring much
study and cosideration. I have dusted off textbooks I haven't used in years!
Very little has been written on balloon burner design as
most designs seem to be great secrets. The cost
using salvaged materials is quite reasonable with only essential valves

etc. needing to be purchased and the educational
experience is grand. As you may know I have another project which concerns

an experimental kerosene burner so this is great
groundwork for Bret and I.
Your point about safety strikes hard at home and is
correct. We need to be much more cautious and we have become lax in our

precautions. Thank you for pointing that out. You
are the only one so far that has expressed a concern.
We will move the valve to reduce afterburn and put
our protective leathers back on.
I realize we may be reinventing ( or uninventing
) the wheel but the experience is rewarding,
educational, and fun. What we learn today will
hopefully go into creating that lightweight, soot free, efficient, no

flame out burner tomorrow.
Thanks for the input and I'll let you know how it
is going. If you see anything we need to do ( or not do) tell us
as we are always open to learned input. Your
advice, encouragement, and cautions are valuable to us as this is a
labor
of love for us.
Fly safe,
Curtis