[balloon-makers] Balloon Basket

Micki Killingsworth micki at balloonrepair.com
Thu Oct 25 22:53:03 CDT 2001

Curtis,

I don't have any idea what it might be worth, but for the right price,
people will buy just about anything. Baskets aren't that hard to work on if
you work in the proper order.

We had a basket brought to us not too long ago that the owner was going to
repair on his own. He had cut out large areas of wicker on the sides and
bottom of the basket, pulled the ropes out, etc. Problem with cutting out
all this wicker is it took away the alignment. The step holes had wicker
wound around verticals, and the verticals got cut out, leaving curled
wicker hanging loose (the new verticals should have followed the old ones -
pushing the new in as the old was pulled out).  When doing horizontal
repairs, it should be a one piece out, one piece in repair. The wicker cuts
should be staggered (with the new wicker passing at least 8" past the area
where you made your cut) so you're not cutting several pieces in the same
place. It would create a weak spot in your wall. While we could certainly
fix the basket, it would be pretty labor intensive (expensive). It could
end up being a long winter project for him.

If you decide to sell the basket, send me an ad and I'll post it when I get
home from Greenville.
Micki

At 02:49 PM 10/25/01 , you wrote:
>Micki,
>I just accquired an old Raven basket ( flat top with aluminum uprights ). I
>purchased it for the tanks, instruments and burner for use in my
>homebuilding efforts. The basket has an area under one tank that is bad
>(first layer of the plwood) and a few ( 3-4 broken horizontal strands of
>wicker. It was last flown a few years ago ( it has a pocket assembley
>labelled "1977 Indianola Nationals" !).
>My question :
>Is is worth anything or should I hang it in my barn for the kids to play in?
>I personally have no interest in heavy baskets.
>You may respond privately or to the list (as you wish) as there may be some
>general interest in your reply that others can benefit from concerning
>basket repair/rebuilding etc..
>Thank you.
>Fly safe,
>Curtis