balloon-makers Trying out the new list

Don DonPiccard at USFamily.net
Tue Aug 6 13:16:52 CDT 2002

Greg,

As long as you are near the Gulf, are there any sailmakers   near you?

Check out how they loft a horizontal cut spinnaker, aka. "Balloon
Jib".

Then consider that the "Nose" of the jib needs to be tweaked a little
to let it curve back horizontally to the balloon's crown.

Some sailmakers use a straight edge on one side of each horizontal
seam with twice the curvature on the other - saves a lot of time
cutting...

Forty years ago, I got a lot of caching from the U.S. Olympic sailing
team's sailmaker, Rudy Aurez.  Very astute in conceiving a compound
curved surface on a flat floor.

Don

Don Piccard,   www.Piccard.Info
DonPiccard at USFamily.Net
612 / 333-6912,   703-7943
Click on: http://www.microb.com/piccardexp2/house_of_mercy.htm
 for Souvenir Balloon Mail.  (Hey, we didn't make that flight last
weekend, so anybody that reserves one now will still get all the bonus
issues...)