balloon-makers new list and fabric pondering

Roland Escher rescher at rescher.com
Tue Aug 6 20:44:12 CDT 2002

I'm glad to see activity on the new list.  I had already started
believing that everybody had abandoned ship despite David Drum's
valiant efforts to keep the group alive.  I'm definitely here and
will keep reading and contributing if and where I can.

I'm glad to hear that Curtis and Greg are actually working and moving
forward on projects.  Unlike me.  I'm still just dreaming about a
replacement envelope for my Cloudhopper.  Tom Deering's spreadsheet
has been instrumental in running through various volume, fabric,
temperature and altitude combinations.  I think I'm settled on a
volume of about 28,000 cu ft.  That way it won't be too big for my
current 10 gal tank and 180 lbs (on bad days), but also not too small
if I move up to a 15 gal tank for more endurance and loose those 20
lbs that I've been meaning to get rid of.  The other question is
whether I should try to go with all 1.1 oz calendared but uncoated
fabric for light weight and easy sewing, or make the top third or
half 1.3 oz coated for better impermeability and thus slightly better
endurance.  I'm planning on a (light) Nomex mouth in any case and am
more worried about flight performance and endurance than envelope
life.  Any thoughts on fabric choice?

I've already got my color pattern figured out and have a great design
for the parachute.  Jon, I may be asking for your graphic design help
in the weeks to come.

Anyway, I must go to sleep so that I don't get fired from my summer
job for napping during work hours. ;-)  Good to see you guys are
still on board!

Gentle winds,
Roland

--