balloon-makers building a model before the real thing

Roland Escher rescher at rescher.com
Tue Aug 6 21:05:31 CDT 2002

Greg -

What seams are you using for your model?  I assume you're not going
to deal with French fell seams.  I think that 90 cu ft (ca. 3 m^3)
should be be enough for the model to fly free.  I seem to remember
that the Schlegel family in Germany has one that is 2 m^3.  Let's see
what Kasey thinks about this.  Make sure to post pictures when you're
done.  (Funny picture of you with Phil and Skinny on your new site.)

I've thought about building a model because (a) it's cheaper, (b)
quicker, (c) I could use a cheap single-needle home sewing machine.
But I keep coming to the conclusion that I should just bite it and go
right for the full scale envelope.  It's just 200 big panels instead
of 200 small panels and a coouple more miles of sewing. ;-)  Maybe I
should reconsider.  A model would certainly be better than nothing at
all (my situation right now).

BTW: I love the Cameron O-Series.  It's my favorite envelope
profile/shape, along with T&C's Series 1.  There's nothing like the
structural efficiency of a slightly bulbous envelope.

Gentle winds,
Roland

PS: I also enjoyed the pictures of the gas flight in "Ballooning".
You look as comfortable as a baby in the mother's womb.  What were
you dreaming about? ;-)

--
Roland Escher
www.rescher.com