[balloon-makers] CAA registry

Roland Escher rescher at rescher.com
Thu Feb 7 07:30:30 CST 2002

Very interesting. Since I didn't get logbooks with it when I bought
my Cloudhopper 12A in 1999, I thought I would check to see if the CAA
database held any new clues as to its lineage. This CAA database
really is very complete. My Cloudhopper, G-BIFC, is still in there.
It's been de-registered since June 3, 1991, but at least I know now
that it was first registered on October 10, 1980. During that whole
period it was still registered to the Thunder & Colt factory. What's
even more fascinating, is that the reason for de-registration is
listed as "permanently withdrawn from use", even though the
Cloudhopper is still airworthy and actually in pretty good shape. Of
course, since I now fly it as an FAR 103 Ultralight, I don't have to
worry about annuals and such, at least legally.

Gentle winds,
Roland
(stuck at home nursing a terrible cough)

--
Roland Escher
www.rescher.com