[balloon-makers] NU-Temp NU-601 Wireless Thermometer

Greg_Winker at Dell.com Greg_Winker at Dell.com
Mon Feb 18 08:54:48 CST 2002


Based on Ron's experiences, I decided to give the 601 a second chance.  Even
though the marketing information said it had a 30 second update cycle, I was
able to verify a six second update cycle in my tests.  Next, at the Central
Texas Balloon Club meeting last Monday, we tested the remote probe in ice
water and got a stable reading of 33 degrees - low-end accuracy seems good.
Saturday morning was the monthly club flight and, for once, we had good
weather.  Before inflation, I tied off the end of the probe as close as I
could get to the thermister in my Cameron.  I have a Cameron issue Ball 655
and wanted to compare the gauges against each other.  Before we left the
house that morning, I found one of my daughter's dirty white socks and place
the remote sensor in that (don't try this at home).  The wire on the remote
was just long enough to stretch past the edge of the parachute opening where
I safety pinned the sock to the vertical load tape that runs to the crown.
As a result, the remote sensor rode on the outside of the balloon.

During the flight, I compared the two temperature gauges about 50 times and
they were always reading within two degrees.  The 601 would run lower than
the 655.

I'll retract my earlier comments on the suitability of the gauge for
ballooning.  Now that I've tried it in a balloon I think it works great.   

Good Floating!

Greg Winker



From: Ron Cassidy 


Greetings,
  I finally got a chance to try out my new NU-Temp NU-601 Wireless
Thermometer today. Others on the list have previously described problems
with this unit, I had none. It work very well for me. I would recommend it.
  I mounted the sensor at the junction of my first horizontal and vertical
load tapes. Roughly 10 feet from the edge on the valve.
  I bored a small hole in the horizontal load tape with a soldering iron.
The hole was just big enough to allow the sensor wire to pass to the inside
of the envelope. I sewed a 12" strip of hook (Velcro) along the horizontal
load tape and adjacent to the hole. About 13" of the wire is pulled  to the
inside  and attached via a 12" strip of loop (Velcro), hook to loop with
wire sandwiched in between. About 1" of the end of the wire is hanging free.
The thermal resister is attached to the end of the wire, eh.
  The transmitter is hanging on the outside of the envelope. I basically
made a low profile pocked from some fabric and attached it to the vertical
load tape. It'll be simple to replace batteries from the outside.
  I found the performance to be acceptable. I didn't actually measure the
interval between temperature updates but it seem to respond quickly to
temperature changes. Not sure what algorithm the sender uses. Perhaps
whenever the unit sees a temperature delta of some number of degrees it
transmits. Perhaps 2 degrees. You can tell when a new temp has been received
since the receiver has a little icon that goes active. Of course the actual
temperature reading may change as well.
  If you were thinking of buying a NU-601, go for it. It's only $40, eh.
  Later,
  Ron Cassidy


-------
Unsubscribe instructions at http://www.deering.org/balloon-makers
-------
Unsubscribe instructions at http://www.deering.org/balloon-makers






More information about the Balloon-makers mailing list