[balloon-makers] Matlab/mathematica/etc.

Roland Escher rescher at rescher.com
Thu Feb 21 08:21:35 CST 2002

Paul:

I think the person you're looking for is Tim Baggett. I think the two
of you discussed AutoCAD, Matlab and Bob Nungester's software about a
year ago. (See e.g.
http://www.hombc.org/balloon-makers/msg00061.shtml and other messages
in the list archive.) Tim used to have some screenshots from his
balloon calculations in Matlab on his website at
http://acca.nmsu.edu/~tim/. However, that whole server seems to be
gone.

You might also want to contact Arnaud Deramecourt and Philippe
Lusley, two French balloon builders who have used computer tools (and
sophisticated formulas) extensively. If you speak French, see
http://aerostation.free.fr/mfr/fr/mfr_4.shtml#info for more
information for some of those programs.

Don:

I think Paul wants something where he can do more than determine the
size of panels based upon a predetermined formula. After all, Paul
has already built a balloon with the spreadsheet and Bob Nungester's
software. I would think that he is more interested in playing with
various formulas, adding to them and crunching serious numbers.
Compared to an Excel spreadsheet, Matlab and Mathematica are high end
applications suited for more serious engineering (and other
scientific) calculation and visualization.

Cheers,
Roland

--
Roland Escher