[balloon-makers] Kevlar basket attachments ?

Donald L Piccard balloon at juno.com
Tue Jan 15 14:39:45 CST 2002

I have found that black Nomex covered Kevler webbing from Bally Ribbon
Mills, Bally, PA is a very satisfactory solution.  No Nicopress.  No
splicing. No knots.

Make your connections by Box X  stitching.  Loops to carabineers at
burner.  Same at mouth or direct sewing to load tapes.  Same at basket
edge, or go all the way under and around.  At chafing points on basket
corners, cover with Rawhide buffers and soft padding, etc.

On SkySailor T.C. Design I used Kevlar thread as an overkill.  As the
stitching at the burner is lower than the flame and the stitching at the
mouth is remote from the flame ordinary Dabond Dacron thread should be
fine.

The Black Nomex cover protects the Kevlar from U. V. and abrasion.  The
Box-X stitching is very reliable and inspectable.  You know what you
have.

Don Piccard

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002 16:44:48 -0800 "Curtis Pack" <cpackdo at citynet.net>
writes:
> List,
> Looking for opinions on the use of kevlar knotted ( yes knotted )
> lines. As
> we finish the Barrell Basket we have a choice of using either cable
> ( as was
> used in the prototype) or using Kevlar ( Kev-Kord) rope.As some of
> you know
> I use spliced kevlar line of this type on the my 28000 c.ft. hang
> balloon.
> In our endeavors we have scorched a few lines here and there and the
> splices
> are time consuming to change and mildly difficult to end up with the
> overall
> correct length when splicing both end and the middle. This is
> particularly
> hard to do "in the field".
>      We are currently using 5/32 inch Kev- Kord rated at 1780
> pounds
> breaking strength. New England  ropes suggest using a 15% reduction
> to allow
> for manufacturing differences so that brings it down to 1513 lbs. A
> bowline
> knot wll reduce line strength to 60- 70  % so that would lower it to
> 907.8
> lbs per line.
> We use 12 lines in  4 groups of 3 lines. for a gross load of
> 500lbs.
> One line- 907 lbs
> Each group- 2721 lbs.
> All groups 10,800 lbs
> Cables are cheaper, conductive, hard on the envelope when packed and
> very
> flame proof .
> Kev-Kord is nonconductive, expensive ( .50 per ft.), smooth and easy
> to pack
> up, and melts at 900 F ( the polyester cover melts at 480 F). I
> envison a
> 5/32 Kev-Kord line terminated in a bowline with a heat shrink tubing
> safety
> on the end.
>      Any ideas, feelings, pro or con, suggestions or comments.
> Fly safe,
> Curtis

Don Piccard,   612/333-6912
1445 East River Parkway
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3625    E-Mail:  DonPiccard at USA.Net
http://balloon.freeyellow.com/Homepage.html