[balloon-makers] Seams and stitches

Bob LeDoux bobledoux at proaxis.com
Fri Jan 25 19:59:42 CST 2002

When I first started homebuilding, in 1988, I considered other seam systems
for building a balloon.  My old Balloon Works repair manual discussed a
commercial multi-step zig-zag machine that was used for inlay work.  They
still use a locking chain-stitch machine for their construction.  There are
no bobbins, which increases productivity.  Machines, like the Singer 300,
permit setting multiple needles at desired spacings, without the necessity
to incorporate a bobbin assmebly underneath.

I met builders who used a single needle home machine, a Pfaff 130 to build
their AX-7.  They folded the seams and passed each seam through the
machine, twice.

I think a double thread overlap seam would be fine for amateur balloons.
But it leaves the cut edge in the open where it tends to unravel--even when
cut with a heated knife.  I chose to buy a double needle, double bobbin
Singer 112W140, and have never regreted it.  My wife loves the consistency
and quality of the stitch.  We often use it as a single needle machine.

Other seam systems are possible, but I'd want to test alternatives as a
small section in a part of a balloon that was otherwise constructed witha
proven seam design.