[balloon-makers] shredded thread

Bob LeDoux bobledoux at proaxis.com
Tue Mar 5 17:06:02 CST 2002

Make certain your machine is properly threaded at the needles.  Most
machines have a guide at the bottom of the  needle bar, right where the
needles mount.  That guide is a hole or ring through which the thread
passes to keep it in close contact with the needles.

Thread choice is important when sewing balloons.  I prefer to use bonded
thread just because it holds together better.  It does  make bigger knots,
however.  Some manufacturers prefer unbonded thread which is more likely to
fray.

Also note that the any point on the thread passes back and forth through
the needle eye 8 to 12 inches for every stitch.  The takeup arm movement
creates that amount of movement so the thread can pass around the bobbin
case to create a knot.  To survive that passage over and over again, before
it is finally embedded in a stitch, a top quality thread is called for.
Don't buy the cheap stuff.