[balloon-makers] Flytec

Roland Escher rescher at rescher.com
Wed Mar 6 17:34:24 CST 2002

Greg,

Being a Swiss citizen, I have always been a big fan of Flytec
instruments. There is also a second Swiss vario maker named Aircotec.
Aircotec spun off from Flytec when one of the co-founders wanted to
incorporate more functions while the other wanted to keep the simple
and efficient design of the Flytec series. However, I don't think
Aircotec instruments are available in the US.

As far as Flytec instruments are concerned, I went for a 3040 Balloon
Pilot while I was still making decent money in New York. (Now that
I'm a student again I can't afford anything :-P ). I haven't had a
chance to install it in my Cloudhopper. But it's an excellent and
very sensitive instrument. It reacts when I crouch down or stand on a
chair. It is very easy to use, even with gloves. There are redundant
batteries. The analog vario display (round on the 3040, vertical bars
on the 40xx series) is very easy to read and beats any digital
display. The programmable audio feedback function is very useful when
you are landing and can't look at your instrument but still want the
benefit of vario information.

As for which model to choose, even the simplest model is an excellent
choice. From what I can tell, the only advantage of more expensive
models are a PC interface, GPS integration and sophisticated
barograph functions. Unless you plan record flights, the 4005 should
be just fine and certainly offers the best value. The 4030's glide
ratio function would presumably be useless for a balloon.

Give Steve Kroop at Flytec USA a call. (Tel: 800-662-2449, tel:
352-332-8675, fax: 352-332-8676, e-mail: usaflytec at aol.com.) Flytec
USA definitely sells its instruments directly and he may be willing
to cut you a deal.

Buoyant regards,
Roland

--