[balloon-makers] Statoscope

Don Piccard DonPiccard at usfamily.net
Thu Mar 7 00:23:10 CST 2002

I blew my own for my solo flight and it visibly responded within three feet.
(You can see it hanging near me at
http://www.balloonlife.com/publications/balloon_life/9707/piccard.htm .  I
do have a very nice Custer which is a little coarser but has always worked
well except after Tony Fairbanks immersed it in Lake Michigan one night.
(Complete disassembly and drying out restored it with no permanent damage.)

I have a WWI Richard military mechanical altimeter that is quite handsome as
is my mahogany cased Richard Fres. barograph which was used by the Benjamin
Franklin Aerostatic Society (with Samuel Archer King in command).  I don't
recall seeing a Richard statoscope.

Don

P.S.   My statoscope indicated change within three feet of vertical motion.
The fact that the picture shows it three feet from my head is irrelevant.
dp.

Don Piccard, (Email: DonPiccard at USA.net)
1445 East River Parkway
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3625
612/333-6912,     Cell: 612/703-7943
http://balloon.freeyellow.com/Homepage.html