[balloon-makers] GPS Altimeter

Keith Sproul ksproul at rci.rutgers.edu
Thu Mar 7 08:27:41 CST 2002

The GPS units with built-in Baro Altitude are GREAT!!

I have the Garmin eTrex VISTA, and the new Magellen Meridian Platinum
also has baro altitude.

Both of these also have max ascent and max descent rates, so after
you land, you can find out how fast you went up and down...  You can
even watch this in real time. I used this when I did my terminal
ascent.  (1231 fpm)

The altitude in 'normal' GPS units isn't as good.  This has to do
with how GPS works.

To get a good position report (x/y), you want signals from sats on
the horizon.  To get a good altitude, you would want signals from
sats overhead.  These two 'wants' are 90 degrees (literally) out of
phase with each other.,   So, getting a good horizontal position
makes getting a good vertical position less accurate

Keith Sproul

--
Keith Sproul	ksproul at rci.rutgers.edu		WU2Z
Student Housing Network Coordinator		732 445-3695 W