[balloon-makers] Terminal Descent

Z-Balloon Adventures® balloon at dwx.com
Fri Mar 8 08:18:05 CST 2002

At 9:12 AM -0700 3/8/02, Tom Deering wrote:
>Also, the terminal velocity for a skydiver is 120 miles per hour. Does the streamer/parachute effect of the envelope slow things down that much?  Or are "terminal descent" and "terminal velocity" different?
>
>Tom

Nope.  Robert Mock proved that at the first Nationals after they left Indianola.

Pretty scary video if you ever get the chance to see it.  I always wondered if a streamering balloon would slow the descent. It didn't appear to slow down at all.

In fact a well known pilot said he was inflated and sitting on the ground ready to take off and he felt the "thud" when the basket hit the ground.  Pretty scary.

Danny
--
         Since 1989 we are Iowa's #1 Full Service Balloon Company!
                        Visit us at http://www.zballoon.com