[balloon-makers] Porosity

Micki Killingsworth micki at balloonrepair.com
Fri Mar 29 06:31:36 CST 2002

There are at least 2 people who have been in the recoating business. Both
have had success with their process. One lost his source for the product he
was using last year. It costs around $1,000, and they say you can expect
another 100 hours or so.

There have also been owners that have purchased and used the product on
their own - and not had any luck with recoating. My guess would be that it
wasn't done properly. You have to brush the coating into the fabric, stand
the balloon up, and bake it into the fabric.

Obviously, not every porous balloon is a candidate for recoating. If the
balloon has been flown in this condition, hot air has been rushing through
the fabric. That causes the fabric to loose its strength. Extensive pull
tests should be done on the envelope, pulling it to rip point to see how
strong it is.

Micki

-------