[balloon-makers] carrying loads in airships

Dan Nachbar balloonbuilder at mojotron.com
Wed Nov 6 14:07:28 CST 2002

At 04:37 PM 11/6/2002 -0500, Paul Vincent Craven wrote:
>What holds the load of the blimp?  I can see your design maintaining the
>shape of the blimp, but I'm not sure what you attach the stuff on the
>bottom to.
>
>Paul Vincent Craven

There are two answers:
         1) the load can be carried on a conventional (at least for blimps)
                 load curtain system  -- lines and fabric that run through
                 the center of the envelope from the car to the top surface
and/or (more interestingly)
         2) the presence of the ribs allows one to use a load sling that
                 attaches at the nose and tail and carries.  An interesting
                 thing happens when you load up the sling -- the tensioning
                 cable that runs from nose to tail goes slack.  The load sling
                 pulls down and in and the upper surface pulls up and in.
                 The up and down force vectors cancel and all you get is "in".

                 This works so long as the projected "in" force vectors
                 are less than the total outward force of the ribs (i.e.
sticks)

Not sure yet which method will carry which portion of the load.

Dan Nachbar