[balloon-makers] Balloon design

Greg_Winker at Dell.com Greg_Winker at Dell.com
Wed Oct 2 08:18:08 CDT 2002

If you are trying to
duplicate a Lindstrand shape, I think you better steer far clear of a Sigma 5 or
6 design.  Sigma's in this range are designs suitable for payload weight
that are much smaller than the balloon weight.  Hot air balloons are
typically on the other end of the scale - payload weight is high compared to
balloon weight.  The natural shape you see in most hot air balloons usually
have a shape approximating a Sigma 0.
<SPAN
class=877385514-02102002>
Try this link for a
natural shape calculator.
<SPAN
class=877385514-02102002>
Good
Floating!

Greg Winker
-----Original Message-----From: Vfbanfield
[mailto:vfbanfield at clear.net.nz]Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 12:45
AMTo: balloon groupSubject: [balloon-makers] Balloon
design

  Can anyone help me with sigma 5 and sigma 6 calculations? I have heard
  that envelopes can be designed with this formula but don't know it or how to
  use it.  I want to design a balloon with the same shape as a lindstrand
  balloon. Please help

tri-gore-0-17.xls