[balloon-makers] Err and for the first time.........

AKGMortimer at aol.com AKGMortimer at aol.com
Mon Oct 7 02:49:25 CDT 2002

Hi,

By way of an introduction,

My name is Gary Mortimer a pilot currently sat on my thumbs in South Africa,
I am considering constructing a balloon of my own probably a 120 or 140. I
can take enough friends that way, I have just finished flying 400's in Kenya
(http://www.balloonsafarisdirect.com) so small balloons frighten me now ;-)

Now this construct my own idea is very fresh, in fact I have noted 27th
September as the day it wandered into my head.

Other than having flown a balloon before, I know very little about building
them.

I have found online so far........

this list

a couple of spreadsheets for gore design

French site with a Deramecourt design of balloon.
http://www.dynafly.com/menu/laconception.html

Site I thought quite informative at
http://aerostation.free.fr/mfr/en/mfr_inde.shtml (its where I got one of the
gore programs, which I think produces the Deramecourt shape)

I have contacted Galvenor, they make fabric here. http://www.geltex.co.za

I know for a fact that Kavanagh balloons in Australia are looking into using
their fabric and of course Terry Adams down here has used it for years.

So thats where I stand.

I like the shape of the Deramecourt balloon any thoughts from out there??

Anyhow best wishes from South Africa,

Cheers

Gary Mortimer.

By the way for you hams, my father is G4 OXR qth Somerset UK