[balloon-makers] Pyrometers

Don DonPiccard at USFamily.net
Thu Sep 5 08:06:06 CDT 2002

There are some electronic solutions, but don't forget the
simple approach: a direct ready (large dial) mechanical
thermometer.

Industrial vat thermometers with a four inch dial are very
accurate and reliable.

Several years ago I found a very inexpensive wall thermometer
sold for use in Saunas.  It had a good range - I think it was from 50 to
250 F and was almost six inches in diameter.  Very easy to read from the
basket when hung from the inside of the crown.  It was very light weight
and had no glass.  You had to protect it from the needle getting bumped or
caught in the parachute lines.
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr
  <DIV
  <A title=davidandlori at greenmountainaccess.net
  href="mailto:davidandlori at greenmountainaccess.net">David Tanzer
  To: <A title=balloon-makers at mu.org
  href="mailto:balloon-makers at mu.org">Balloon Makers
  Sent: September 05, 2002 9:35 AM
  Subject: [balloon-makers]
Pyrometers

  <SPAN
  style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">A while back there was some
  discussion of low-cost, off-the-shelf pyrometers suitable for use in
  home-built and/or ultra-light balloons.  Could someone refresh my memory
  as to what is being used, how much it costs and where is can be
  purchased.  Any information about installation details would be
  appreciated as well.
  <SPAN
  style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">
  <SPAN
  style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Thanks!
  <SPAN
  style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">
  <SPAN
  style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">David Tanzer
  <SPAN
  style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Charlotte<FONT
  face=Arial size=2>,
  <SPAN
  style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">VT
  <SPAN
  style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt">

------ USFamily.Net - Unlimited Internet - From $8.99/mo! ------