[balloon-makers] Pyrometers

Don DonPiccard at USFamily.net
Thu Sep 5 08:33:31 CDT 2002

If your redline is at 212 or a little below at higher
altitude, a singing teapot would work as a limit indicator.  (Of course if
you exceeded it for any length of time, it would boil dry and shut up leading
you to believe that you were back in a safe temperature range!)
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr
  <DIV
  Don

  To: <A
  title=davidandlori at greenmountainaccess.net
  href="mailto:davidandlori at greenmountainaccess.net">David Tanzer ; <A
  title=balloon-makers at mu.org href="mailto:balloon-makers at mu.org">Balloon
  Makers
  Sent: September 05, 2002 10:04 AM
  Subject: Re: [balloon-makers]
  Pyrometers

  There are some electronic solutions, but don't forget the
  simple approach: a direct ready (large dial) mechanical
  thermometer.

  Industrial vat thermometers with a four inch dial are very
  accurate and reliable.

  Several years ago I found a very inexpensive wall
  thermometer sold for use in Saunas.  It had a good range - I think it was
  from 50 to 250 F and was almost six inches in diameter.  Very easy to
  read from the basket when hung from the inside of the crown.  It was very
  light weight and had no glass.  You had to protect it from the needle
  getting bumped or caught in the parachute lines.
  <BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr
    <DIV
    <A title=davidandlori at greenmountainaccess.net
    href="mailto:davidandlori at greenmountainaccess.net">David Tanzer