[balloon-makers] Solar tetroon aloft right now!

Rochte, Robert rrochte at gpacademy.org
Mon Jul 14 06:23:10 CDT 2003

I have an experimental solar tetroon aloft at this very moment - interested
parties can check its current location using this URL:

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?call=kc8uch-11

This tetroon is 20 feet on a side and made from 13 micron, translucent,
high-density polyethylene.  Solar absorption was augmented by the addition
of... powdered tempura paint (added shake-and-bake style)!

Free lift is about what I expected - but the payload was overweight by about
six ounces.  So, it's a low, slow, lazy flight today (at least I won't have
to drive far to retrieve it!).  Now if the GPS tracker will just keep
working this time....

I'll put some pictures up later today.

-R

--