[balloon-makers] Construction

Ron Cassidy roncassidy at attbi.com
Tue Mar 11 15:56:54 CST 2003

Greetings Paul and Others,
  Titanium fuel cylinders are available from Lindstrand Balloons USA. Each
tank holds 13.75 US gallons of propane. If anyone is interested, let me know
and I'll provide a price.
  Phil Thompson (and others) uses Titanium fuel cylinders in his competition
basket/balloon. Depending on the flight and conditions he may fly with 3 or
4 cylinders. It's a real nice configuration for competition. The cylinders
are as light as a feather. You can actually pick up an empty cylinder with
one finger.
  Several years ago, Lindstand Balloons USA offered a Fall Special that
substituted Titanium cylinders for Stainless Steel. I should have bought a
new balloon that year. Unlike Cameron Titanium cylinders, LBUSA Titanium
cylinders have never had a recall.
  I recommend and use quarter-turn valves for two important reasons. The 1st
reason is that it's easy to see if the valve is open or closed. Depending on
the basket and tank combination, I find it is usually impossible to
determine if a regular valve is open or closed by "looking" at the valve. I
usually have to twist the valve to figure out what position the valve is in.
The 2nd reason is because I can shut the fuel supply off in an instant. One
ruptured fuel hose experience has lead me to appreciate the need for instant
off valves.
  Later,
  Ron Cassidy