[balloon-makers] laydown vs. upright tanks

AKGMortimer at aol.com AKGMortimer at aol.com
Wed Mar 12 05:32:23 CST 2003

I flew a 315 that had two, 90+ litre horizontal tanks I cannot remember the
exact volume.

Anyhow the idea was to narrow the pilots compartment and keep the overall
basket size down. It was a double T basket.

The tanks were under the floor, so as the driver you stand a couple of feet
above the passengers. Basket sides were not raised though so we had a bar at
the front to stop us falling out. Felt bloody awful though and if your of a
more manly frame like myself (and some girls I know) then turning around was
tricky.

Because it was in a place where we used butane and the volume of these tanks
was so enormous that they would for some reason loose stacks of pressure in
an hour so we had a nitrogen system on board that we had to top up the tanks
with in flight. We were using vapour pilot lights so we had two small tanks
for those. The plumbing was a nightmare. It was the most horrid thing I've
ever flown. I won't say which UK company made it, and in their defence it was
to order and not of their design. But it was not the one who's about to loose
big time to Kavanagh over the smart vent but they did buy them ;-)

By the way I'm going back to blighty for a summer season and the thing I'm
going to miss the most is the new Kavanagh light vent it really is a
fantastic deflation system. Adam will explain how it works, I'm too dumb. I
will try and get in and take some photos and post them somewhere.

Cheers

Gary

For heavens sake visit my site http://www.balloonsafarisdirect.com I need the
hits, yes this is begging.