[balloon-makers] Solar cloudhoppers

Emmanuel Laurent elaurent at obs.ujf-grenoble.fr
Thu Mar 27 04:00:52 CST 2003

Dear Paul,

I just saw your mail about Pierre Benhaiem's balloon.
Just a correction : this balloon is not really a cloudhopper in the
sense that the lift is largely insufficient to carry a man.
This ballon uses kind of "dynamic lift" to carry a man at 4-5 meters
height during 10-20 secondes. Anyway, this idea is quite fantastic...

If you really want to see a solar cloudhopper, check this website :
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/ballonsolaire/
Some pages are in english.
Solar balloons need to have a high volume (nearly 2000m^3) to carry only
one personn because of the small buoyancy (Benhaiem's balloon has a
volume of 400m^3).

Emmanuel